uCon will be a totally informal and non-profit conference taking place in Recife, Brazil, in 28th of February 2009 -- three days after the best street carnival ever (also known as the rehearsal of the end of the world).
The conference aims to bring together academics, hackers and information security enthusiasts to share cutting-edge ideas and thoughts about their latest developments and techniques in the field. Attendees will have the opportunity to network with like-minded people during social events, such as lunch break and aftercon party and during the capture the flag competition.
The conference will be held at Jardins Bar e Restaurante, one of the city's most famous clubs. Its infrastructure includes a very comfortable ballroom with capacity for up to 500 people.
The usual gang of cretins, the usual suspects.
uCon committee gives preference to lectures with practical demonstration.
The conference staff will try to provide every equipment needed for the presentation in the case the author cannot provide them.
The following topics include, but are not limited to:
* General system exploitation techniques, vuln-dev and shellcoding
* Web application hacking
* Phone phreaking
* Fuzzing and application security test
* Hardware hacking, embedded systems and other electronic devices
* Mobile devices exploitation, Symbian, P2K and bluetooth technologies
* Analysis of virus, worms and all sorts of malware
* Reverse engineering
* Security in Wi-Fi and VoIP environments
* Information about smartcard and RFID security and similars
* Technical approach to alternative operating systems
* Denial of service attacks and/or counter-measures
* Techniques for development of secure software and systems
* Security in SCADA and lesser-known environments
* Information about satellites, GPS and stuff alike
* Lockpicking, trashing and urban exploration
* Internet, privacy and Big Brother
* Information warfare and industrial espionage
uCon staff tried to keep an affordable price for attendees and the early bird entry price is R$ 60. Registration on-site will cost R$ 80. Lunch, free pass to the aftercon party in Jardins club and access to the workshops are included within the ticket price.
Deadline and submissions
Deadline for proposal submission: 25th of January 2009
Deadline for acceptation: 5th of February 2009
Send your proposal to email@example.com and make sure to provide along with your submission the following details:
* Speaker name or handle
* A short biography of the presenter
* A brief description about your talk
* Estimated time-length of presentation
* Whether you need visa to enter Brazil or not
* Any technical requirements for your lecture
Unlike the past edition, when speakers could choose how many minutes of presentation time they needed, this time we will have pre-determined time slots of 45 minutes and a block of 5 minutes lightning talks where you can just step up the mic and say whatever you want to say.
Preferrable file format for papers and slides are PDF. If you feel old school enough you can submit them in TXT as well.
Speakers are asked to, but not obligated, hand in slides used in their lectures.
NOTE: Bear in mind if your presentation involves advertisement of products, services or any kind of sales pitches, please do not submit.
Information for speakers
Speakers' privileges are:
* Free pass to the conference
* 15 minutes of fame and glory (just to prove Andy Warhol was right)
* Heavy amounts of alcohol, including caipirinha and assorted booze
* Tour to Porto de Galinhas and other paradise beaches in south shore of Pernambuco
* All the parties money can buy
* We will try our best to cover travelling costs up to USD 750
For further information please check out our web site http://www.ucon-conference.org it will be updated with everything regarding the conference.
To speak at uCon 2009, please send your proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org